Frequently Asked Questions

When can services be provided?

We pride ourselves on providing services to clients when and how they want them done. We can do a one hour shift or up to 24 hours per day with approved funding.

What services will Medicare cover?

In the Home setting it may include nursing, Occupational/Physical/Speech therapies, and Home Health Aide depending on what the client’s needs are.

What services can be billed to Medicaid (Medical Assistance)?

Medical Assistance allows recipients to receive assistance with bathing, dressing, toileting, hair care/oral care/skin care. Cares can also include assistance with exercises, TED hose, medication set up and reminders. Medical Assistance does not pay for supervision of client or general housekeeping.

What is the rate for services?

Please call your local office for rates.

What is the age of the clientele your agency serves?

We serve every age, infant to elderly.

What is Supportive Home Care?

Assistance with cooking, cleaning, laundry, shopping, errands, companionship and general supervision, medication reminders.

What is Skilled Nursing?

Nursing in a home setting to provide skilled assessment, teaching of medical needs, teaching clients signs and symptoms that they should report to their MD, complicated wound care, wound assessment, to teach on medications and more.

What is Physical Therapy?

A Therapist going into the home to provide i.e.: Strengthening, gate training, establishing a home exercise program, and more.

What is Personal Care?

Hands on care that would include: Bathing assistance, help with dressing and undressing, transfer assistance, hair care and oral care, assistance with ambulating.

What is Occupational Therapy?

A Therapist going into the home to teach use of adaptive equipment, need for adaptive equipment, to make clients safe in their home.

What do I need to do to start services?

Please call our local office to initiate services. We will need to take some general information over the phone and then we can arrange for one of our staff members to come to your home and discuss specifics about services.

What criteria must be met to have Medicare pay for services?

You must be recovering from an acute episode of injury or illness, you must be homebound, you must need a skill and there must be an attainable goal for an end date. In order to qualify for a Federally Certified Nurse Assistant, nursing or therapy must be involved.

What areas does your agency serve?

Columbia, Crawford, Western Green, Grant, Iowa, Juneau, Lafayette, Richland, Sauk and Vernon Counties.

What are PCWs & CNAs?

PCW’s are Personal Care Workers and have taken a 40 hour class and passed a test. CNA’s are Certified Nursing Assistants and have taken 120 hours of training and have passed a State Test.

How soon can services start?

That depends on a number of factors such as number of days and hours needed, what type of services are needed. We may be able to start cares very soon or it may take some time. Please call the Homeward Bound office for more information.

How many people do you employ?

Between 300 and 350 people.

How can services be paid?

There are multiple ways services can be paid. We are State Licensed and a Medicare and Medicaid Certified Home Health Agency so we are able to bill Medicare and Medical Assistance, Insurance, Managed Care Organizations, Iris, VA and other funding sources if eligible. If a person is not eligible for any funding sources they may pay us privately.

Do you provide life line services, medical equipment, or transportation?

We do not provide life line or medical equipment, we do provide some transportation. Please call to find out what we can do for you.

Do you have to be a high school graduate to be employed?

You do not need to have a high school diploma to be employed. Additional training is required to do personal cares or to work as a certified nursing assistant.

Do you have to be 18 to be employed?

No, however there are some funding sources that do not allow someone under 18 to work for them and you cannot run a mechanical device when you are under age 18.

Do we provide benefits to employees and what would they be?

We have available supplemental insurance, we pay time and a half for working on a holiday, we provide flexible scheduling.

Do we hire people with no formal training?

Yes, some cares do not require any formal training such as cooking and cleaning. We do have all of our employees go through a video training as well as orientation at time of hire. Employees that will be providing personal cares for clients need to have a Personal Care Worker Certificate or a Certified Nursing Certificate to be able to provide those services.

Can you bill someone other than the client for services?

Yes, we can bill other family members or other funding sources if eligible.

Can a family member be hired to perform cares?

Clients can request a friend or family member to be hired to provide their cares. There are some funding sources that do not allow this. All applicants must meet our hiring criteria and complete a minimum of a two-step hiring process before cares can begin. Clients interested in having a friend or family member hired should contact their local office to discuss specifics.